12 May 2008

Running the World















Sainte Chapelle showcases why the Catholic Church had the power that it did. I never understood why the Church was able to really inspire people on an individual basis to respond to their demands, until I came to Europe. The sense of awe that I had upon walking up the stairs to the Sainte Chapelle must be the same sense that subjects throughout Europe felt while walking into their own places of worship. The iconography of many cathedrals stays the same but their personalities vary greatly. Stained glass moves me because my grandmother used to take me places to admire it further. Those memories helped create my own personal biases towards stained glass and can be seen by my response to the Sainte Chapelle. Being able to sit through a concert and soaking up the environment gave me a glimmer into what it would have been like when the church ran the world.

No comments: