17 May 2008

Wandering in Bercy







I was assigned a walk in Bercy -supposedly a derelict neighborhood only recently renovated. By renovation the city must have meant modernization, because the archecture in clean, geometric and innovative -no more engraved marble or narrow alleyways. Personally I find it refreshing, but is it possible to wander through Bercy? Is it capable of wanderlust? The space is so open and neatly partitioned, does that create the same allure or seducement or, most importantly, the mystery of older, interwoven Paris? I feel incapable of being lost in Bercy but quite possible to lose myself in the gardens, to forget about time as I way by the vineyard or muse through shops. And I can people-watch in Bercy like the skateboarders or other people enjoying the gardens or walking their dogs. So I would say indulge in Bercy, wander if it means indulging yourself but don't expect the confusion or fear of mazing through the older streets.

No comments: