13 May 2008

Dans Le Noir

I was actually quite terrified of eating in the dark. My biggest fear was on the interior of the space. I kept imagining a dungeon like space with rusty tables and uncomfortable chairs. I was the first to be plunged into the dark, but with our trusty waiter leading the way, my fears slowly faded away. The first thing I noticed was that I was placed next to a wall. Then, with the wall as a support, I sank into my chair. The comfortable chair and clean table helped take away the dungeon image. As we ate, I noticed that I could use the wall as a reference point. I was able to place my drinks next to the wall or bottles of water or wine so that I could always find them. The food had a lot of flavor. I don't know if my senses were heightened or if they may have purposely added a lot of flavor. Just as though you can't taste very well when you can't smell, perhaps you can't taste well when you are used to seeing food and preconceiving what you will taste and consequently they gave us very flavorful food.

No comments: